Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Robin loves...

...a good book.


And this one looks to be pretty exceptional-- "The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical."

I actually stumbled across the trailer for the recently released documentary, "The Ordinary Radicals." I googled the title to try to find out more about it, and found that one of the people featured in the documentary wrote this book of a similar name about two years ago.

One glimpse at some of the quotes from this book, and I was hooked. I definitely agree with them, and I'd love to hear more of what this man has to say, and learn about the so-called "radical" ways he lives out his faith.

“While the ghettos may have their share of violence and crime, the suburbs are the home of the more subtle demonic forces — numbness, complacency, comfort — and it is these that can eat away at our souls.”

“As I’ve heard my old mentor Tony Campolo say, ‘If we were to set out to establish a religion in polar opposition to the Beatitudes Jesus taught, it would look strikingly similar to the pop Christianity that has taken over the airwaves of North America.’”

“We live in a world that wants things bigger and bigger. We want to supersize our fries, sodas, and church buildings. But amid all the supersizing, many of us feel God doing something new, something small and subtle. This thing Jesus called the kingdom of God is emerging across the globe in the most unexpected places, a gentle whisper amid the chaos. Little people with big dreams are reimagining the world.”

Seriously. Does anyone have this book? 'Cause I would love to take it off your hands for a week or so.

No comments: