Monday, November 3, 2008

Rebel

"There is a WAR going on for your mind...
...but if you're thinking, then you're winning."

I have finally begun research for my thesis, and I'm getting really, really excited. I am making connections between different theories, and ideas are just exploding all over my head. Most exciting is the link I'm noticing between improving the quality of education in impoverished schools, and of the need for students and teachers to be involved in the community. Not only is that really good for my thesis (making connections is always a plus), its really similar to the way the Tampa Underground approaches church (not limiting church to a building, but actually going into communities with God's love), and is really a very Godly way to approach things. Even more so, the concept of a teacher as a facilitator rather than a dictator is also being explored, and this reminds me of the role that InterVarsity leaders play during Bible studies. This is really exciting. I don't know if I am making a whole lot of sense but... I'm excited. I feel like God has already been training me in these methods and theories I'm reading about. This is really cool.

Educational justice is coming...

:)

4 comments:

GUS said...

I think I get what you're saying. I really liked the idea of teacher as facilitator, but I wish it was that teachers could impliment that concept outside of the preschool setting. Here in Florida, most school's don't have time for that style of learning because they have to do so much FCAT prep. When I did my internship in preschool we really taught with that school of though, but once I was doing my internship in Kidergarten it was already impractical because the kids had to learn all the stuff on the FCAT and didn't have the chance to explore like kids anymore. It's sad. :(

Glad to hear you're enjoying your thesis.

Robin said...

The FCAT must die.

Seriously, how can we get rid of it? Every teacher I've talked to has said the FCAT is their #1 problem with the school system.

...hm

uthpastorjj said...

wow, really love the new blog layout and discussion. i only hope i can be so creative.

Robin said...

thanks!! I love Photoshop... :)