Friday, October 24, 2008

Longing

Longing
for what was left behind.
That lost feeling
that desperation,
of grasping at threads
and spinning out of control.

Now,
everything is stable.
All is balanced.
I've matured
and seen the light,
the greater purpose
behind it all.
But inside...

I'm longing
to lose control.
To run
with my heart breaking,
to cry
with my skin stinging,
to feel
that the night will never end.

For the young, it's normal
acceptable
to be a lost girl
an emotional wreck
alone in the world.

But at 21?
Get it together!
That state won't suit you now.
You've grown
and passed that stage,
it's not cute anymore.
And yet...

I'm longing
desiring
begging!
to run wild
to let go
to sink down, down
and destroy myself
once more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was "passionate, twisted, unique, intriguing, powerful".
It gripped my mind and whispered into my soul.

The first five stanzas are a poem by themselves. They allow the reader to understand the feelings and thoughts of the author as well as the turmoil of the present circumstance. It is not until the sixth stanza, however, that the reader fully empathizes with the raw emotion of the author as her vulnerability becomes apparent. The longing for answers that hangs over the final lines of the poem invokes a similar desire for answers in the reader.

All in all, very well written. A joy to read.

Anonymous said...

its not cute anymore

Robin said...

Anonymous 1... a regular reader, I see...

:)